GUFF was created as The Get Up-and-over Fan Fund in 1978, to complete the triangle whose existing sides were TAFF (the TransAtlantic Fan Fund, which sends sf fans between Europe and North America) and DUFF (Down Under Fan Fund, running between North America and Australia). Of necessity, the name changes to Going Under Fan Fund for southbound trips. (See ballot for more.) This page is maintained, irregularly, by David Langford.
- All the Past GUFF Races
- Latest Race
- 2014 GUFF ballot [PDF]
- Australian Fan Funds
- Australian Fan Funds: GUFF
- GUFF Group Photo, 2010
- Dave Langford on GUFF, 1999
- Europe: Mihaela-Marija Perkovic, Maksimirska 100d, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia – rantalica at gmail dot com.
- Australasia: Kylie Ding – kylie_ding at hotmail dot com
Friends and Relations
- League of Fan Funds – UK fundraising
Some GUFF Trip Reports
- Stranger in Stranger Lands: John Foyster's 1979 Trip Report (print edition 1996; second edition on line)
- Irwin Hirsh's 1987 Trip Report
- Eric Lindsay's and Jean Weber's 2001 Trip Report
Past GUFF Ballots
- 2013 GUFF ballot [PDF]
- 2012 GUFF ballot [PDF]
- 2009/2010 GUFF Ballot
- 2008 GUFF Ballot
- 2007 GUFF Ballot
- 2005 GUFF Ballot
- 2004 GUFF Ballot
- 2000 GUFF Ballot
- 1999 GUFF Ballot
- 1995 GUFF Ballot
- 1985 GUFF Ballot
- 1984 GUFF Ballot
- 1981 GUFF Ballot
- 1979 GUFF Ballot – the first!
- Candidates and Platforms from other ballots not archived in full
Past GUFF Websites
- 2013 Announcements
- Great Balls of GUFF (UK home, 2009)
- GUFF 2008
- GUFF 2007
- GUFF 2001
- The Northern Guffblower 1, August 1978
- The Northern Guffblower 2, November 1978
- The Northern Guffblower 3, March 1979
- The Northern Guffblower 4, May 1979
- The Northern Guffblower 5, August 1979, with Chris Priest on GUFF's founding and its first winner
- The Northern Guffblower 6, June 1980
- The Northern Guffblower 7, July 1980
- The Northern Guffblower 8, February 1981
- The Northern Guffblower 9, August 1981
- The Northern Guffblower 10, June 1982
- The Northern Guffblower 11, January 1984
- The Northern Guffblower 12, May 1985
13 June 2014 Kylie Ding writes: "We would like to congratulate Gillian Polack, who is the winner of GUFF 2014. We would like to thank all the candidates for running an excellent race. We had over 100 votes cast, and the revenue from voting was $1332 in Australia, 78 (minus PayPal fees) and £95 (minus PayPal fees) in Europe. In addition there were auctions held at several conventions. Eastercon raised £195.10, Swancon $159, Continuum $750, Marsonikon 30, and Mihaela still has to total up several other auctions she ran. Thank you for your efforts to keep the fund in good financial shape! / The vote was very close, and we have checked and rechecked each vote, which is why it has taken a while to get back to you with a result."
22 April 2014 Australasian administrator Kylie Ding has now created a GUFF 2014: online voting form. As before, voting continues to 9 June 2014.
21 December 2013 The 2014 GUFF ballot is now available in PDF format. Voting continues to 9 June 2014.
22 November 2013 2014 candidates announced on Australasian administrator Kylie Ding's LiveJournal.
October 2013 2014 northbound race nominations are open, with nominating deadline 15 November 2013.
January 2013 Mihaela Marija Perkovic is the 2013 GUFF winner: official announcement here.
August 2012 James Shields announces that nominations are open for the 2013 GUFF race.
22 October 2011 Now available: the 2012 GUFF ballot [PDF]. The candidates are Grant Watson and Kylie Ding. [Later: Kylie Ding was the winner and attended Olympus 2012, the UK Eastercon.).
September 2010 The Aussiecon 4 group photo of past and present GUFF winners.
15 August 2010 James Shields's GUFF trip website is now officially launched.
6 April 2010 James Shields wins GUFF.
March 2010 Irwin Hirsh's Australian Fan Funds page lost its original site and has a new home (as just linked) courtesy of Jean Weber. Updates continue.
November 2009 The southbound GUFF race is on, with candidates James Shields and Douglas Spencer. Official UK administrator page here, with links to PDF and online ballots. Here's a copy of the PDF version.
September 2009 New race announced, from Europe to the Australian Worldcon in 2010. Details here.
November 2008 Sue Ann Barber and Trevor Clark announced as winners of the current race.
September 2008 GUFF race announced, from Australasia to the 2009 UK Eastercon.
18 April 2007 Ang Rosin wins the 2007 GUFF race and will travel to the Australian National Convention in Melbourne: Convergence 2, 8-11 June 2007.
30 March 2007 At last, the 2007 GUFF race announcement and PDF ballot. The latter gives the voting deadline as 16 April 2007. Is this the shortest campaigning time ever to be allotted by a major fan fund?
January 2007 Damien Warman writes: "GUFF 2007 will convey a European fan or fans to Convergence 2, the 2007 Australian natcon. A bond of £10 or ¬15 together with the names of three European and two Australasian nominators is to be sent to either Pat McMurray (pcmcmurray at yahoo co uk) or Damien Warman (dmw at pobox com). Contact Pat or Damien for more information. Ballot to be available mid-February."
May 2005 Damien Warman and Juliette Woods are the 2005 GUFF winners.